Saturday, April 24, 2010

A gift

Have you wondered what your gift was to the world? What has God set you on your path for? You have a purpose. You were created for a reason. You somehow know in the depths of your heart that your destiny awaits.

As a surgeon, you have the gift of blessed hands. Hands that close wounds. Hands that tie off bleeding arteries. Hands that save a life. Its a tremendous gift. A gift that comes with its own hefty price no doubt.

But would you give up your gift? Would you stand aside and let your gift go to waste?

I live for my patients. I live to learn to one day have that ability to save a life. I find the greatest pleasure in knowing I have made a difference in a life - even if it was just a "pretty" wound. A wound alone is a battlescar and a proof that your hands have been there. Its our personal mark, signature if you will, on another person's life. So yes, I will close every wound with a little more care and to the best of my ability no matter how small.


But the greatest gift of all is just being their doctor.

Its hard when patients are handed the death sentence and as a surgeon you can no longer help and you stand helplessly. Watching and feeling the inevitableness of mortality. When you feel like your hands are tied. You can still give a gift.

You can care. Don't scurry away from the door of your perceived failure to save a life. Walk in and be a friend. And it amazes me time and again how a simple act of empathy bonds us. Sometimes, no words are required. A kind word. A shake of a hand. A pat on the back. A smile. A minute can make all the difference.

Everything you do each day can be a gift unto others. Surgery and its awesomeness. Medicine and its awesomeness. Love and its awesomeness. Humanity and its awesomeness.

2 comments:

Mei said...

I have not had time to read blogs for awhile, for alot has happened to me recently.
But this, this is so beautifully written, it reminds me why I'm doing what I'm doing.
So thank you!

@ster said...

Glad you like it. =D
I haven't been blogging much for a long while anyway. I've just started again.