Thursday, March 04, 2010

Peace and Quiet

Do you know what I love most about being in theatres? The peace and quiet. The controlled environment. The focus on the task at hand. The incredible work of art that surgery is.

And the list can probably go on and on. But bottomline - I love the peace and quiet. Where nothing exists beyond those 4 walls and the people in that room.

Today, I had my day planned out in my mind. Rounds, MDM meeting,s consultant rounds, and then to OT. I didn't have a lot of patients. It was do-able. Granted it was a lot of juggling and I pre-empted it will be a hectic morning given the tight schedule... still... it was possible.

But the day, turned out a complete opposite of what I had anticipated. Something was in the air today. Everything just seemed so disorganized and every single one of my well laid plans hit a speed bump. It frustrated me to no ends.

On days like today, all I ever want to do is go to theatre and hide there all day. I could sit in OT all day and suture stuff or watch an interesting case. Not a problem. But drips and fluid orders and discharge planning? Its mundane, boring and i CANNOT wait for the day that I can stop putting in cannulas (or least I won't be the first one paged).

Peace and quiet. Treasure every moment of it.

No comments: