Sunday, May 09, 2010

Grandpa


Tonight you leave us. And I wasn't there.

I had hope you would hang on till after my exams but you have had a long fight. You have put up a good fight. Even now I find it hard to think of you in past tense.

You were my grandpa. The only grandfather figure I have had. And now you're gone.

I remember last week when I heard you had taken a turn for the worse. I wanted to know how long. I asked all the questions a typical patient's family would ask even though I knew the answers. A piece of string. How long is a piece of string?

I didn't know what to do with myself tonight after hearing the news. So much things to do and yet I couldn't move. And like a robot, I started to think of how to make up my missed classes and organizing flights home. I could control this. Bring some sort of order into my life.

I just had such happy news last night. With one hand the Lord giveth and with the other He taketh.

Suddenly all the memories become all the more dearer. I will miss all your wonderful cooking and how you used to slave away at the kitchen all day during New year. The kitchen was always overflowing with food. You in your blue shorts. You looking at me with a twinkle in your eye. You with your morning papers and cup of Milo in your hand. The way you answer phone calls - shouting down the phone as if the other person down the other end couldn't hear you. The way you fell asleep with the tv on. You calling out to me for help with things around the house.

Tonight I say goodnight forever Grandpa. And may you have sweet dreams forever.

No comments: