Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Kindness


Kindness is an act of giving out of love. It is selfless. It brings out the best in humanity and restores our faith in this decadent world. Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for kindness. You never know if you were placed there by Him for a time such as this - so don't walk away.

I had just watched the movie Pay It Forward and was completely inspired and touched by it. Then I discovered on tumblr that there was a Pay It Forward Day and a foundation and all sorts of stories attached to it. Granted that everyday should be a "pay it forward" day but what better time of the year than this to start if you haven't already.

Many years ago, I started a Charity Xmas tree in University for the sole intention of raising money each year for charities of our choice. I had an idea which I thought was impossible but my friends made it possible with their generous support. We handmade every single "ornament" that was sold and went on that tree. We used the money raised to buy food for the children of an orphanage and we gave them the rest of the donations.

Then, graduation happened. Work happened. People moved away and moved on. We forgot about the things we had done when we were younger and inspired. We felt we had more important things on our minds. Bills. Taxes. Promotions. Responsibilities. Adult life got thrust upon us and forced us to rearrange our priorities.

But seeing this movie, reminded me once more of how selflessly we gave when we were younger and there was less of "me". We had less but we gave more. We gave our time, our energy, our efforts. Our hearts. Expecting nothing in return.

I want to go back to a time like that. Where I can dream and have the courage and faith to turn my dreams into a reality.

I don't have a Christmas tree for charity this year. I don't have an institution or charity to work for. But I believe I can change something in my very own world. Kindness starts from within. Giving starts with us. And we can start with the people closest to us.

So this Christmas, as much as I love all things commercial about Christmas, spare a moment to think of what YOU can do for someone else. Do something unexpected. Challenge yourself. You never know who's day you might brighten, who's desperation you might relieve, who's life you might save. And then don't just think - do it. I know I will. :D

No comments: